Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So here it goes!

For a while now, I've been wanting to start a blog.....really for no specific reason. I always thought the idea of a blog was a great way to sort through life's discoveries and challenges and also to share with people. Whether people read this or not, I'm just looking for a place to write out my feelings and opinions, and hopefully discover more about myself along the way!

So here I am, sitting in the School of Music library waiting for symphonic band to start. That's really why I started this blog now, hahaha. I'm looking forward to sym band today, because we should be playing the part in a song we're playing where the flutes, oboes, and clarinets play tin whistles! Oh so fun! I really enjoyed learning the part, but I need my fingers moving faster! I find that is the case with my clarinet as well, so I've been working on smaller finger motions closer to the keys. That's the thing about being a musician. You're constantly having to think about so many different layers to your playing. It's awesome in that you always have a challenge, because really....no one can play perfectly all the time. But there's the flip side to that as well in frustration. There have been (and will be) so many times where I have gotten so frustrated with my playing. But where does frustration get you? No where. And some would argue that it motivates them to do better....I think that's a lie and strange. Haha. I think focusing on what you're doing right should be motivation enough to tackle the aspects of your playing that aren't so great. But that's just my opinion. So this year, I'm taking a new approach where hopefully I can feel more calm and patient in my practice sessions which will perhaps help me to grow even more in my playing.

I feel like all the aspects about being a musician are the same as being an educator. Teaching children (no matter what age) is such a great challenge! It has it's good and bad sides. Teaching is something I have always wanted to do. I have found that teaching music is really special. Really, most other subject teachers don't develop the kind of relationship that music teachers do with their students. And I think that relationship rubs off on the whole group of student musicians which is why band (or chorus or orchestra) feels like a family for so many. In the internships I've had, I've already felt the joys and heartache that teaching can bring. I don't know how many times I've thought about, cried over, or prayed for the children I've taught. There's just something about helping a student not only learn academic subjects, but also lessons for life that connects you in a way that you'll always care about them, worry about them, and hope for the best for them. I've taught many kids that come from not so stable or happy homes. And I pray each day that they're doing ok and will make it through to a better life. I guess that's just one of the things about being a teacher.

Well, I've rambled a lot in this post, just about some very broad things. I do have to mention my sweet pumpkin (for that is what we call each other). He is without doubt, the sweetest guy I have ever met. We just had lunch together outside in the warmth, trying to thaw out from the freezing cold music building! But he is wonderful and amazing!

So, it's time to depart for the wonderful music makings in symphonic band. Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Not just from reading your blog, but also knowing you personally. You are ment for helping people. Your heart is filled with kindness and you push yourself above and beyond to help people out, not only with music, but with their lives. You are such a sweet person and i look forward to reading more of your blog.

    Your distant friend, meghan!

    ReplyDelete